Early in 1955 the Archdiocese of Los Angeles purchased 10 acres at the corner of Santa Gertrudes and Citrustree. Thi former lemon orchard would soon be transformed into a vibrant and devoted Catholic Parish named after the founder of the Carthusian Order, Saint Bruno.
Father John McCormick was the first pastor and he made arrangements to offer Sunday Mass in the Von's Market citrus warehouse which was locted just north of the church property. The first Mass was celebrated on July 7, 1955 with parishioner-build kneelers and old wooden folding chairs serving as pews.
Soon, a large tent was erected to accomodate the growing number of parishioners as the parish Hall was under construction. Completed in the latter part of 1955, the Hall becme the temporary location for Masses until the present church building was completed in 1956. The first Mass offered in the new church was on August 15, 1956.
In September of 1956, St. Bruno Parish School opened with four grades. Each subsequent year, an additional grade was added. the first graduating class from St. Bruno did so in the spring of 1961.
The year 1957 marked the completion of the convent and the arrival of the Sisters of Mercy from Burlingame, California. Those sisters served faithfully here in the Parish and School. In 1984, the Lovers of the Holy Cross Sisters moved into the convent and have blessed all with their prayers and presence.
In 1970 Father John E. Cooley became Administrator and succeeded Father McCormick as Pastor in 1973. During his Pastorate, Father Cooley guided the Parish with dedication and wise judgment. In 1976 he oversaw the expansion of the Hall.
In July 1985 Father Patrick O'Dwyer became Associate Pastor her. Then, in 1990 he became the Administrator and in May 1993 Father O'Dwyer became the third Pastor of St. Bruno Parish. Under his leadership and guidance a much needed state-of-the-art Parish Center was constructed in 1996. It was dedicated that same year and named after Pastor Emeritus, Father John E Cooley. The existing church was renovated in 2000 and still provides a beautiful place of worship.
In 2005 Father Michael Reardon returned to St. Bruno as the fourth Pastor. This was a fond homecoming as Father Michael had previously served the people of St. Bruno as an Associate Pastor from June 1976 until April 1980.
Today St. Bruno has 2900 registered households, a Parish School of 312 students and a thriving Religious Education Program and Youth Ministry that teaches and helps to form young Catholics. The good will and good works of parishioners are evident in more that thirty voluntary "ministries" and organizations. A few examples would include the St. Vincent de Paul Society, Pastoral Care for the Sick and Elderly, Cub Scouts, Lectors, Ministers of Holy Communion, St. Anthony Mission Circle, Music and Liturgy, RCIA, Bereavement, Respect Life and the Social Justice Ministry. These and all St. Bruno ministries carry out the call to active disciplship and are open to new, interested individuals who would like to become more involved.
From its humble beginnings, St. Bruno Parish has always been blessed by Almighty God. Through the unselfish shepherding of our priests and the generosity and support of our people, we have a strong faith community with a proud history. Through these past 57 years glory and praise have been offered to God and His graces have been poured abundantly upon all of us.
May the blessings of the Lord continue on St. Bruno Parish and all of who read this historical journey of our faith community!